AL West Predictions for the 2016 Season
- The Astors are loaded with young talent that I think will get even better this year. George Springer is a definite MVP candidate and can do just about anything on the baseball field and AL Rookie of the Year Carlos Correa looks to build on an already impressive career. They had a good run last year with some thinking they should have made it farther than they did. While losing to the eventual champion Royals probably hurt, it did nothing but give them valuable post season experience. I think the Astros win the division going away, maybe by 10 or 15 games.
- If it wasn't for a 19 loss August for the Angels, they probably would have at least went on to finish with a Wild Card spot in the playoffs. Even then, then only finished one game out. I don't think Trout and company will let that happen again this year. The Angels will try to hang with the Astros most of the season but will just miss out on a Wild Card to the Red Sox.
- Some may have the Rangers in this spot or maybe even higher, and some probably have the Mariners at the bottom. With that neing said I think the Mariners will surprise some people. They have a good mix of young guys and veterans and if they can all get going I think they will at the very least have a winning record. By the end of the season I see them narrowly missing out on a Wild Card spot. Maybe one more season away.
- I don't know if I'm the only one, but the Texas Rangers surprised me last year by winning the AL West. They have really good hitters like Choo and Fielder, as well as good young players like Kyle Blanks and Rougned Odor. Even as I'm writing this I start to see why they made a run to the playoffs last year, but I think what keeps me from putting them higher is the pitching. I just don't know if they have enough depth to contend all year.
- When the Athletics traded Josh Donaldson to the Blue Jays in November of 2014, I think it was clear that they were rebuilding. After a 2015 season that left them with the worst record in the AL, I think that holds true to this year as well. While you can never count the Athletics out, I just don't think they have enough talent to make any kind of run this season. I'll be surprised if they aren't near the bottom of the league again.
Up next... AL Central Predictions